When you are starting a new website, you may like to put up a “coming soon” or “welcome” page first at your homepage. This is to prepare your visitors or customers if they happen to bump into your under-construction website. Secondly, you could also spare your visitors the mess of the website while you are still developing it.
However, you may soon realize that if you are using your homepage as a coming soon page, it will be difficult to develop behind the scene as you need to constantly navigate between the pages and the home page to check the layout. To solve this problem, use the friendly and free WordPress plugin – Ultimate Coming Soon Page plugin developed by John Turner. The beauty of this plugin is it allows you to develop the website as per normal but other viewers will not see your incomplete developing pages but only the “coming soon” page. This will help to create some good anticipation and impression of your website which may encourage visitors to visit again once the website is ready.
Steps to Set Up the Ultimate Coming Soon Page
The Ultimate Coming Soon Page plugin is simple to use and customized. It is said to work with all WordPress themes. You can follow the usual step to install the plugin in your WordPress dashboard and activate it. Once activated, you will see a red bar “Coming Soon Mode Active” at the top right corner. This indicates other web visitors will see a “Coming Soon” page but you as a developer will see a normal homepage.
Steps to Set Up a “Coming Soon” Page
- Go to Settings and click on “Coming Soon” option.
- At the “Settings” tab, click on “Yes” at Enable option to display a coming soon page.
- Click on the “Media Image Library” if you are going to upload a logo for your coming soon page.
- Once it is done, you can enter some text at the “Description” box otherwise you can just ignore it and move on to next setting.
- If you are using the Pro version, you can display an email sign up box but the free option also allow sign up via Feedburner.
- Click on “Save Changes” once all the settings are done.
- Wait, you are not done yet! You can still style your coming soon page with more styling option.
- In the style session, you can choose a background color.
- You can also add a background image by choosing from the media library or importing from your computer.
- The best part is you can stretch your background image regarding the browser size.
- If you have entered some text before, you can now style it by changing its color and font or adding your own custom CSS.
- Don’t forget to save the changes once done.
- You can now preview it by clicking on the “Live Preview” tab besides the settings tab.
If you are developing the website for your client, you may soon encounter one problem, you will need the client to login to WordPress dashboard in order to view the whole website otherwise he or she will be only seeing the coming soon page. This might be cumbersome if there are more than one decision makers need to approve the website. The Ultimate Coming Soon Page Plugin does have a pro version which gives you a secret link so that your clients can view it at their disposal. The pro version also integrated with third party email marketing vendors like Aweber, Constant Contact, MailChimp, Get Response and Campaign Monitor so that you can set up a subscription box easily in your coming soon page to pre collect visitors’ email addresses.
There are many more features available in the pro version but if you are happy with a simple coming soon page, the free version will do just as well.